On-demand audio has moved out of the shadows and into the limelight, thanks to the success of podcasts like Mark Maron’s WTF and Serial.
Savvy marketers have also begun to use podcasts and other forms of on-demand audio as a key tool in their branded content arsenal.
According to Edison Research/Triton Digital 2015 Data*
- 33% have listened to a podcast
- 17% have listened to a podcast within the previous month
- 10% have listened to a podcast in the past week (slide 10)
- Weekly podcast listeners listen to an average of 6 different podcasts each week (slide 11)
- 36% of podcast consumers have a household income of $75,000 or higher (slide 8)
- 31% of podcast consumers have graduate education beyond the bachelor’s degree (slide 9)
- 49% are familiar with the term “podcasting”
- Podcast consumers are more likely to connect with companies and brands on social media, compared to non-podcast listeners (slide 18)
*January 2015 telephone survey of randomly-selected respondents, over the age of 12 Methodology explained in source materials below.
Demographics of Recent Podcast Consumers, according to Edison Research/Triton Digital 2015 Data*
- Evenly-divided between men and women
- Age 25-34: 20% listen
- Age 35-44: 17% listen
- Age 45-54: 15% listen
- Age 55-64: 12% listen
Source Materials and Supporting Data